The Arab heritage contained a lot of eloquent proverbs and wisdoms that promote ambition and high vigor. For example the words of Imam Shafei - God's mercy be with him "How much you work hard, your gains will be. If you seek for excellence and highness, work for late hours."
In the following lines, Afaaq Newspaper is going to present scientific facts and academic tips regarding the reasons for academic excellence as a gift for excellence lovers among students.
If you want to become excellent in your study, just track the following:
Determine your goal of the study
For myself: excellent student quickly reaches what he wants.
For my family: it is my duty to please my parents with success.
For the community: it is in dire need for each successful person.
For Muslims: they are also in need for more talented personalities.
Facts will help you to excel:
- Excellence is a fact, and not a dream.
- It is not a coincidence.
- Excellence is an inevitable result of hard work.
- To be successful, be quite.
- Strong memory is necessary to excel.
- Self - confidence is essential to excel.
- Always put in your mind the score day.
- Most friends are rejoicing success.
- The rest are crying because of failure.
- Their parents reminded them of their failure, which was a result of negligence.
- Imagine neighbors, friends and relatives asking for your score; are you talented or not?
- We just wonder on the score day, which party do you belong to, the happy or the weeping ?.
Rules of study:
- Pay attention
- Understand what you study
- Stay away from confusing influences such as problems, noise and television.
- Sit properly.
- Good lighting, proper ventilation.
- Write down the most important points in your notebook.
- Check out these observations periodically.
- Sum up as much as possible. It will make it easy to remember what you have written down.
- Anticipate questions while you are reviewing.
- Make a periodical review plan.
- Use colors and put indicators on the most important points.
- Perform prayers and keep saying remembrances, and read the Holy Quran.
Tips for remembrance:
- The best times to review are before and after dawn.
- The best place is inside rooms.
- Stay away from reviewing on roads, greenery and noisy areas.
How to prepare revision program!
- Studying and reviewing regularly facilitates remembering at any time.
- Order subjects according to the time of its proximity to the examinations. But do not review too long before the exam period, so you may not forget, otherwise you will be in need for another review.
- Select subjects that need greater effort and time.
- Select the time remaining on each subject and divide them accordingly.
- While reviewing, combine easy subject with a difficult one.
- Put in your considerations rest and hobbies times.
Obstacles to success:
- Straying: Start studying subject that you worry about with loud voice.
- Boredom: always change the place of study, and take it easy.
- No desire to study: always strengthen the incentive for studying, and prepare aids.
- Oblivion: you can overcome it by summarizing, constant review and staying away from committing sins.
- Lack of concentration: depend on abstracts and the king of company one is in.
- Difficulty of understanding: communicate with a teacher.
- Lost self-confidence: increase the time limit for the memorization of the difficult subject.
How to pass the examination night in peace?
- Give in the saying "A student must review word by word and line by line of the curriculum."
- Review the basic ideas of the subject.
- Be patient and persistent and always remember God.
- Take enough sleep and rest.
- Stay away from anxiety and unhelpful conversations.
- Never try to learn something new.
- Prepare your tools, and ensure their validity.
Day of the examination:
- Start your day with Al-Fajr prayer in order to activate your soul and raise your spirits.
- No need to fear or to be anxious, instead, seek help from God.
- Recite some verses of the Holy Quran and some remembrance.
- Keep quiet and review the key elements of the subject.
- Eat your breakfast with a glass of fresh fruit juice.
The best way to perform the examination:
- Make sure of the number of questions to answer.
- Make a plan to exploit the time of the examination.
- Read all the questions.
- Put the key elements for each question.
- Remember that the examiner looks for quality, not quantity.
- Start solving easy questions with large marks, and those you had studied well. This will give you a good deal of reassurance and confidence.
- In most cases, the first answer occurring to your mind is incorrect; be careful in changing your answer unless you are confident that the first answer is wrong.
Causes of frustration after the examination:
- Reading the questions in a hurry without understanding.
- Failure to review a small part of the curriculum.
- Lack of understanding the questions.
- Not being able to solve the questions due to lack of enough review or practice.
- Focusing on answer to the questions with low marks.
- Prolongation in answer no avail.
- Wasting more time in the organization of the answer sheet.
- Changing the correct answer of a question.
What happens after the examinations?
- Focus on the next subject with all your energies.
- Do not review with friends so as not to be frustrated.
- Remember that the examination is a step forward, and not the end of the world.
- Try to compensate what you missed of marks in the next subject.
What happens after the examination if you are successful?
- Beware of arrogance on your colleagues.
- Remember Allah's blessings on you. Praise, worship and thank Allah.
- Remember your parents and your teachers' role. Put in your mind that success means charity to them.
What happens after the result that you failed?
- Never be upset or despair of the mercy of God.
- Do not isolate yourself, but rather be closer to God and ask Him for help
- Do not try to find yourself excuses.
- Do not dispose of your failure on others.
- Think of the reasons for failure and format methods of overcoming them.
- Promise yourself that you will not fail anymore.
- Study with conviction, and remember that you are in an urgent need for success in order to be useful to the community.
- Start your memorization with recitation of verses from the Holy Quran.
- Try to study alone.
- Take care of your parents' satisfaction, hoping to acquire their prayers.
- Allocate enough time for comfort and entertainment so as not to feel bored.
- Good health + Intact body = the best study requirement.
- Do not drink much tea and coffee, but increase drinking fruit juices.
- Seek the help of God, and pray to God to help you.
It is ridiculous to compare the examination of life and that of the hereafter. Consider the following points:
- Any examination in our life has specific subjects to be tested in, but the examination in the hereafter has its own subjects: the Holy Quran and Sunnah. So we have to know them - the hereafter subjects - well and work with them.
- Any examination in our life has specific, known time, but that of the hereafter has not, so always be ready.
- Any examination in our life has specific questions, but that of the hereafter has no specific questions, rather the questions include every nook and cranny.
- Any examination in our life has observer, a creature like you, but the examination in the hereafter, only God the Almighty is your observer.
- Any examination in our life, you may succeed to live up upper ranks. In the examination in the hereafter, you cannot ask for the help of anyone. Everyone will give a witness on you - whether being good or evil - including your senses.
- Any examination in our life could be repeated, and you can cover the shortcomings, but in the hereafter, it is only one examination, and it has no repetition. Failure means failure forever.
- You have to think about all situations that you pass through or you witness, in order to take a lesson and sermon as a benefit in both this world and in the hereafter.
His Excellency King Khalid University President, Prof. Abdulrahman Hamad Aldawood congratulated the winners of Excellence Award, noting that the university launched the award program to stimulate its stakeholders and students. The Excellence Award competition is one of the university pillars, which achieves its strategic objectives; encouraging employees, supporting them and providing them with supportive and attractive environment. This was stated during His Excellency's sponsorship to the "Excellence Awards" ceremony, which was held yesterday in the Central Stands, University City, Abha.
The ceremony witnessed honoring outstanding employees and students of the university. It commenced with a recitation from the Holy Quran, followed by a word from the Vice - president for Development and Quality who is also the Chairman of the Award Executive Committee, Dr. Ahmed Yahya Aljbaili. The Chairman stated that the university was proud of honoring a group of distinguished personalities who had worked, accomplished and excelled, thus deserving that honor. After that, the Dean of Girls Community College in Abha, Munira Saeed Abdullah Abu Hamama delivered a word to the winners, in which she confirmed that the University's Excellence Award was the largest incentive for exerting great effort and for performing well, seeking quality and perfection. She stated further that "our religion calls for perfection in one's work" as well as Prophet Muhammed in His speech" If you have work to do, Allah loves that you do it in the best way". She added that such a competition was considered the largest incentive for the improvement of the ongoing work and performance, as well as a means of ensuring the development of creativity and excellence on peers. She added, "Excellence needs certain atmosphere and environment, which could help one to succeed. The successful environment must include all elements of success such as administrative support (physical and spiritual), right planning, and goals - determined strategies."
Next came the time to honor the Excellence Award winners from the 4 different branches as follows: excellence in university teaching (men), Dr. Hesham Mohamed Abdel Fattah from the Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences, Khamis Mushayt won the 1st place award, while Prof. Mohammad Hashim Mohammed from the Boys Faculty of Science Abha, came in the 2nd place. The 3rd place award was withheld.
In the area of excellence in university teaching (women), Dr. Mimi Alsaeed Ahmed from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, sarah Obeida got the 1st place award. Dr. Abeer Mohammed Zakaria from the Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences for Girls, Bisha came in the 2nd place, while Dr. Asmaa Fathi Abdel Aziz from Girls College of Arts and Education, Abha received the 3rd place award.
In the area of "Distinguished Employee" (men), Saad Mohammed Al Qasim from Recruitment Department Deanship of faculty and staff members took the 1st place award, while the 2nd place award went to Abdulazeem Hassan Al Ismail from Afaaq Newspaper. The 3rd place award was won by Turki Abdullah Al Zafran from the Faculty of Languages and Translation.
In the area of the "Distinguished Employee" (women), Tahani Saif Al-Dosari from the Faculty of Arts and Management, Bisha won the 1st place award while the winner of the 2nd place was Mona Ali Al Khzeim from the Deanship of faculty and staff members. Sharifa Mohamed Ibrahim from the Girls College of Arts and Sciences, Mahyal Asir came in the 3rd place.
In the area of "Outstanding Student" (men), Muhannad Abdullah Abu Abthan from the Faculty of Medicine came in the 1st place, and Mahmoud Ali Alfawati from the Faculty of Science came in the 2nd place. Fawaz Mohammed Al-Qahtani from the Faculty of Engineering won the 3rd place award.
In the area of "Outstanding Student" (women), Eman Gharm Al Ayadh from the Faculty of Medicine got the 1st place award while Samar safar Al-Majadah from the Faculty of Science came in 2nd place. Jumana Mohammed Albeiali from the College of Education in Abha got the 3rd place award.
In Community Service - individuals (men), Dr. Abdullah Al Casey from the College of Education won the 1st place award, and came in 2nd place was Dr. Bader Rashid Al-Ghamdi from the Faculty of Medicine. The 3rd place award was withheld.
In Community Service - individuals (women), the 1st and the 2nd places awards were withheld. The 3rd place award went to Dr. Shanifa Mohammed Al-Qarni from the University Center for the study of Girls students.
In the area of "Excellence in community service" - institutions (Men), all awards for the three places were withheld.
In the area of "Excellence in community service" - institutions (women), the 1st place award went to girls Community College in Abha, while the 2nd place award went to the Faculty of Arts and Management, Bisha. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences in Belqarn came in the 3rd place.
King Khalid University has achieved a paradigm shift compared with the previous year, to move forward 1464 places of the world, which has enabled it to occupy the fifth place between the Saudi universities and the eighteenth on the Arab universities.
In the grade of Excellence - a part of the four grades of evaluation - the University achieved the first place at the level of Arab Universities. Excellence is one of the grades of evaluation, which focuses on the side of the researches published in the websites and academic papers that have been published in magazines and scientific journals with international influence. This was announced through the Spanish website, Webmatrix, during the current month of August (2014). The site is handling a periodical evaluation for more than 12 thousand universities worldwide.
It should be noted that the world site's, (Webmatrix), classifications which depend on the websites of the universities, especially what those universities offer with respect to the size of content, and vision as well as the impact of those publications on the internet, are yet to be analyzed according to the research of the National Council for Spanish Research in Madrid.
One of the Masters of Arts (MA) degree female students at King Khalid University (KKU) by name Hanan Al Shegri, carried out a study that focused on contemporary public and private organizations' levels of excellence as regards the performance of their functions. The study is the first of its kind to analyze leadership style based on excellence that is conducted under general education in the Kingdom.
Hanan AL Shehri's motivation to carry out that study came from her regular observation of the great attention being accorded to excellence that has become the focal point consideration of many organizations, both private and public. The author of the study noticed that the issue of excellence has become the goals of the leadership of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia. That the government as well as the leaders of the private sector, are always striving to achieve excellence in the performance of their various functions. And thus she concluded that today, excellence has become the main requirement in all things done all over the world.Hanan stated further that excellence has effective role and a clear impact on all the outcomes of educational, political, economical, cultural, and or social development in Saudi society.
Hanan Al Shehri pointed out that one of the objectives of her study was to seek through it, to identify the kind of leadership style that supports excellence in schools to obtain ISO certificate. She also sought to identify through the analysis of patterns of leadership the kinds that will be most effective and supportive for excellence.
She said: "The importance of this study is in its possible contribution to the enrichment of the science of leadership, the concepts of excellence, the different standards of excellence, and the motivations for excellence.The study is through analysis of leadership styles to identify the type that supports excellence. The issue of excellence requires conducting an action according to set of rules provided by those in charge. For this reason, excellence has become a global issue associated with high standards, and requiring the presence of conscious leadership as well as the dedication on the part of all those involved, whether on public or on private basis, and in public or private establishment.
In the study, Hanan presented some of the successful experiments that were used in achieving excellence and the avoidance of failures to achieve huge shift, as shown by, for example Scottish and Singapore Model for Excellence, saying, "I wish I could find such as these two models in our schools, and our educational institutions".
Hanan Al Shehri stated that, the study aimed to see how interesting educational leaders will be in applying the rules and standards of excellence and then determine the appropriate leadership style to support it, as well as to identify the extent of spreading the culture of excellence in our educational institutions in Abha.
The researcher used Descriptive Analytical Method in the conduct of the research. in this regard, the research sample consisted of 46 teachers, chosen from Abha schools that have gotten ISO certificate.
As a result of this study, the author has discovered that there is greater attention span on schools principals in excellence standards whose schools have gotten ISO certificate. She got this result through the perspective of some teachers who confirmed that it was 'high'. She also found that the type of leadership in support of excellence in these schools is democratic leadership. This pattern was the highest among other styles where its arithmetic average was 4.4826 with a standard deviation 0.59741.
The study recommended according greater attention on school principals to keep away from the practice of authoritarian leadership pattern, and all the practices that go with it, so as to reduce those administrative practices according to systematic programs. The study also recommended that the educational departments should work on applying the pattern of democratic leadership in schools after the positive results of this pattern as shown in this study. finally, the study recommended the establishment of incentives such as a prize for the best educational leader whose school has gotten ISO certificate in order to encourage educational leaders towards excellence.